cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet returning via different path problem when using TCP

b.hart
Level 1
Level 1

Currently we a in a peroid of migrating with our WAN from leased line to Frame Relay.

Here is the problem. All VLAN 1 traffic is currently routed via the new FR network for testing. All other VLAN's are routed via the old leased lines. If I ping from VLAN 1 to a remote machine on say VLAN 105 I get a reply. The packet goes over the leased line and returns via the FR WAN. That is to be expected. This ping is UDP. Right?

If I telnet from VLAN 1 to a remote machine on VLAN 1 everything is OK because both the outgoing and incoming packets follow the same paths. With me so far?

If I telnet from VLAN 1 to VLAN 105 on the remote site I cannot get a telnet session. The outgoing packets are going via the FR WAN and the return packets are going over the leased line. Is there a problem with TCP communication where the return path is different to that of the outgoing path?. That is my question.

3 Replies 3

svermill
Level 4
Level 4

There are security implementations that check to ensure incoming TCP was "established" by an inside source. I believe that part of being established (aside from the bit being set) is that some stateful information match up. Any PIX experts out there?

yagnesh.patel
Level 1
Level 1

TCP should not be any problems with having asymmetric routing otherwise internet would die.

Of course TCP knows nothing of the mechanics of the lower layer protocols. So symmetry is not a TCP concept. But I was hoping for a PIX/security expert to comment on how stateful information (such as incoming/outgoing ports) affects permissions for various types of traffic flows.