Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Packetbuffer Test possibly causing backup errors?

I am in the process of investigating a problem where server backups are being interrupted and slowed for no apparent reason in the middle of the night. After some investigating and narrowing down of an error time frame, I found that a packetbuffer test on the remote server's Cat5000 was kicked off 30 mins prior to the backup server losing connection with this remote server. I know that the packetbuffer test does cause minimal packet loss and service interruption according to the documentation but I was wondering if this "minimal" interruption would be enough to completely timeout a backup session. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Sidenote: have disabled packetbuffer test to possibly rule out as trouble.

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Packetbuffer Test possibly causing backup errors?

Does the outage consistently coincide with the running of packetbuffer test? By default it should only run on Sundays. If this is the case then I believe it could be possible for you to lose some packets that, depending on the backup application, may cause it to fail. Since you've disabled the pb test, you should find out the next time you run the backup when the packetbuffer test was supposed to run. To verify that this minimal interruption is enough to disrupt the application you should get a sniffer capture and observe the applications behavior - to see just how much loss it can take.

Re: Packetbuffer Test possibly causing backup errors?

Thank you for your suggestions. I have disabled the packetbuffer test and will now have to wait until sunday night to find out the results. If all runs clean I'll enable the packetbuffer test again and attempt to clearly identify the problem.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content