cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

PaGP confusion

Hello,

I'm really confused about LACP and PAGP.

I've set an etherchannel between my 2 switches, and the modes avaiable are:

on (no protocols)

PaGP

LACP

Now, I wasn't able to find a decent document able to explain me what PaGP and LACP give you more than static.

Can anybody clarify this please?

4 REPLIES

Re: PaGP confusion

Hi

If u ask the main basic difference between them, PAGP is Cisco proprietary and i feel most of the peopl will also suggest to make use of LACP.

for more info on them do check these links out..

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/rel7_6/config/channel.htm#1041100

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/rel7_6/config/channel.htm#1048854

regds

VIP Purple

Hello,

I don´t see what PaGP and LACP give you extra either. As a matter of fact, I would always recommend setting it to ´on´. If you design and implement a network, you usually know what your devices are capable of, and you usually know what your channels should look like. It is almost like a server connected to a switchport, where the recommended setting is to have fixed duplex and speed settings...

HTH,

GP

Cisco Employee

Using PAgP or LACP allows ports to negotiate with connected ports to determine if they can form a channel, based on criteria such as port speed, trunking state, native VLAN, and so on. This gives the most robust behavior should one side or the other encounter error situations or be reset.

HTH,

Bobby

Hi,

PAGP & LACP are etherchannel negotiating protocols. PAGP is Cisco proprietary, LACP is open. With both, you can combine 8 physical links 1600Mbps (FastEC) or 16Gbps (GigabitEC).

Consider using these protocols 'ONLY' if you want etherchannels to be negotiated & brought up automatically.

LACP also has a concept of hot standby. Besides the max 8 links you can use, you can have more links as hot standby which come up if any of your working links fail.

Hope this solves your query.

Regards,

Pratik

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content