cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Passing internet WAN traffic from central1600 router

globalonline
Level 1
Level 1

I have Cisco 1600 series routers at three locations tied back to another 1600 at the central site. I also have a Caymen router at the central site serving a a DSL connection to the Internet.

I would like to pass the incoming internet traffic from the centrall 1600 router to the Caymen router.

Can I just set the default gateway and provide DNS information on the central 1600 router to the caymen router?

And as for the WAN Clients - should their default gateway point to the 1600 or the Caymen router (if the Caymen has static ip)

P.S. these WAN links are 56k frame

Help!!! Thanks!

1 Reply 1

rsissons
Level 5
Level 5

The IP DEFAULT-GATEWAY command is only effective when the router is not routing ip traffic. What you need is a default route pointing to the next hop ie the Caymen router

eg

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

The WAN clients default gateway should point to their next hop address which is the router interface on the same IP segment that they are on.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: