cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

password problem

loyalty
Level 1
Level 1

I have configured the enable and secrets passwords on my 2507 router running IOS 12.0, when I go back to user mode and enter the enable command I do not get prompted for a password. It takes me staraight to enable mode, also when I telnet to the router and try to acces enable mode Ican't it says no pass word is configured. Will appreciate any ideas.

5 Replies 5

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

For the telnet, you need to configure the following,

line vty 0 4

login

Regarding the first issue, Did you check in the running configuration (sh run) whether the enable and secret password commands were properly entered ( dont know if there was any mistake while typing)

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

I made no mistakes when typing the passwords, thing is when I do a show run I can't see the configured passwords except for vty access. I'm wondreing if its a bug issue I have tried several times. Thanks.

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

When you are placed in enable mode are you connected on the console ? If you are your console sessions is still active . what you need to do is do a disc or an exit on the console session , then try to login.

When you are getting password required but none set this means no vty password is set .

line vty 0 4

password cisco

this will set the PW to Cisco

I do have VTY access configured and I can telnet to the router fine, problem is when I try to access enable mode (after typing in the telnet password), it says none is set and I know I have one configured.

hi

can u check by removing the enable passwd ,secret if its ther by giving no before them in the config prompt and set them again ??

try it and revert bck..

regds

prem

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco