Views
Helpful
Replies

password recovery

alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All!

i have 6509 sup1-2ge.this switch run CATos on the sup;and IOS In msfc.i did password recovery for the catos on the sup.and i didn't recoverd on the msfc.i've read the document in the cisco site.but the recovery was failed in the msfc.any help very much appreciated

10xs

Ali

10 Replies 10

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Ali,

Can you please briefly explain what all steps you tried for password recovery on MSFC? I am asking this becase this will give me a picture what you did and where you missed if by any chance you missed some step we can find that out.

Regards,

Ankur

Hi Ankur Thanks for ur reply!

as i mentioned the 6509 run CATos on the Sup1;& IOS ON The msfc.1st)what i did was;i turned off the switch than i turn on,than i have pressed ctrl+break but the switch sill loading the CATos and never going to the romon.

2nd)when the cat finich the loading the CATos;i press switch control to go to the msfc,the IOS beging To load also i have pressed ctrl+break but Again never to do going to the romon>

10xs

Ali

Hi Ali,

As you mentioned you have already done the password recovery of sup running catos now no need to reboot the whole box.

What you can do is have a console connection to the supervisor and then just reset MSFC with "reset ".

Wait for 5 seconds approx and immediately issue "switch console" command which will give you a console access of MSFC which is in rommon.

Once you get the access of rommon you can change the config reg value to "confreg 0x42"

After this just have a look at this link it will give you step by step instruction which I have mentioned and I am sure you will be good to go .

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_password_recovery09186a0080135657.shtml#topic1

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

hi ankur!

i was turn on the 6509 today.its loading and prompt me at the console>.

t have typed the new password but it said sorry.i typed exit but prompt me to password.waht happen?how can i back to the catos screan?

10xs

Ali

Hi Ali,

Once you are on "console>" prompt you are already in CATOS screen. You can type enable to go to the enable prompt and once you type enable and hit enter it will ask you password if you have set any enable password and incase you have forgot that then you may need to do password recovery for CATOS also.

Regards,

Ankur

hi ankur!

i press Ctrl-break whem i have seem connect to router but the IOS Still continue to loding.what can i do.Also i have tryed only beak but still the same

10xs

Ali

Hi Ali,

Please clear me that when are you pressing ctrl + break? As I updated in my previous post if you have already done password recovery for your catos you just need to reset your msfc and then you need to hit a command "switch console" to go to the router rommom prompt and then immediately hit break sequence. REMEMBER if the break does not work there is a lin mentioned in STEP 5 for some break sequence key. Also make sure you hit it in right time or else router will boot normally.

Remember you have to start this once you have console connection to the console port on the sup and not with the telnet session.

If you just have a look at the link which I pasted above it will guide you with step by step procedure for password recovery of msfc.

HTH

Ankur

Hi Ankur!

thank u very much.it was done.

10xs for ur help.

Ali

you need to enter the enable ...then it will prompt to you for password...and if you dont remember it then have to run password recovery process...

regards

Devang

Hi Ankur!

thank u very much.it was done.

10xs for ur help.

Ali