Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

PAT and an ACL

I was wondering about something today, I have NAT setup on my router between two ethernet interfaces, outside is e0/0 and inside is e0/1, the internet is coming in on e0/0. now lets say that i block a bunch of ports with an acl applied to e0/0 inbound, for example port numbers 7777 and 7778, if pat translates internal streams to the external interface using either one of the ports blocked...what happens? it won't work? time out? do i have to configure a lower timeout level? etc. also what port range does PAT use? above 1023? thanks for your response!!

mike

5 REPLIES

Re: PAT and an ACL

Yes, PAT uses port nos from 1023 to 65536.

Why do you want to use the same access-list nos for both filtering and for PAT? In this case, PAT will not happen on the specified ports (destination port) due to the deny in the access-list.

Cheers!

its not that i want to more of a what would happen question. would pat detect that the acl is blocked a port it is trying to pat on? or will it just pat and then that translatino will not work? thanks

Hi Dear

My name is sukrut and I am trying to use NAT SO that I no need to assign public IP to the my Server for access from remote location.

We are using cisco 3600 Series Router at our central location I have tried to configure NAT on my central router but it not working as some application ports(Range from 1600 -> 3000) which we are not able to access from remote location after configuration of NAT.

Any help.

Best Regards

Sukrut

Mike,

From my understanding, the ACL will process traffic first and therefore block packets for destination ports 7777 & 7778 before NAT can perform translation.

The following URL should help: [NAT order of operation] http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a0080133ddd.shtml

Regards,

Rajesh

Thanks for the link, that helped a lot and put my mind to rest. :)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content