Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

patting through 1 public address

if I wanted to get to a certain pc from the internet on my lan, and if my router is using PAT to one address, how would the router know where to send the traffic if the source came from outside without the inside pc first intialising the connection ?

3 REPLIES
Gold

Re: patting through 1 public address

port forwarding needs to be configured. router will then be able to determine the traffic by studying the destination port.

e.g.

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.1.100 25 25 extendable

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.1.101 80 80 extendable

with the above "ip nat inside" statements, router will forward all traffic destined for the router public ip with port 25 to internal server 192.168.1.100; whereas for all traffic destined for the router public ip with port 80 to internal server 192.168.1.101.

Community Member

But this is using NAT, not pat, my router currently uses par, can u use nat and pat at the same time then ?

Gold

carl,

i just realised that there are two exactly the same conversations on the forum.

your requirement is to use pat for internet browsing; at the same time, user from the internet needs to access 2 servers that located behind the router. correct?

e.g.

ip nat inside source list 100 interface Dialer1 overload

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.1.100 80 80 extendable

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.1.101 25 25 extendable

the first statement is pat for internet browsing; the second and the third are for inbound access to the servers with those particular ports only.

please don't be confused with the syntax as there is no "ip pat". these two "ip nat inside" statements are for static port translation.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content