cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PBR across multiple routers

ndarnell
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 sites linked by 2 2MB circuits each with its own router.

I need to implement PBR to move some video conference traffic from the main circuit to the backup circuit.(ID by host ip addresses at each site.)

The problem is I need to monitor the outbound interface of the backup router from the main router so that if the backup circuit fails the traffic is passed across the main circuit and not re-routed to the backup link.

I have a config that works using object tracking with ICMP however this is a bit cumbersome and was wondering if anybody had any better ideas?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

ashok_boin
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

I am not getting what exact problem right now you are having. I can try to help you, if you elaborate to some extent.

Backup router, at same side? At present, how are u monitoring the outbound i/f?

Regards...

Ashok.

With best regards...
Ashok

aretana
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Being that you're tracking the availability of an interface in a different router ("monitor the outbound interface of the backup router from the main router"), the object tracking is about it. Instead of ICMP, you could track a route -- one that depends on the state of the interface you want to back up.

What do you find cumbersome about your setup?? Assuming that it's the configuration, then you're really not saving a whole lot by changing the trakcing method.

Alvaro.

Hi Alvaro,

Thanks for the reply - The bit I'm finding cumbersome is the fact that the PBR config has to be on both routers at each site and that from the information I have read on the enhanced object tracking the ping is periodical but I can't find out how long between pings so I don't know what the convergence time will be.

The route tracking may be a better option but we only have one subnet at each site and the ethernet interface for both routers at each end is on this subnet however I maybe able to track the subnet on the backup WAN link subnet.

Any other thoughts or ideas would be most appreciated

Thanks

Neil

rajesh444
Level 1
Level 1

If I understand your question correctly, you could monitor the interface on back-up router using the "HSRP interface tracing" feature.

HSRP Functionality and features:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094a91.shtml

Hope this helps,

Rajesh

I think you mean tracking, this will not help as we only need to redirect traffic sourceed from 2 ip addresses and have the rest of the traffic stay on the primary link.

Thanks

Neil