Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

PBR match statements

Hi

I'm not clear about which match statements I can use in a route-map for policy-based routing. I know that I can use:

-match length

-match ip address

what about

-match interface

-match tag

-match ip next-hop

Can any of these other match statements be used for pbr or are they only to be used with redistribution?

Simon

5 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Re: PBR match statements

Hello Simon,

´match length´ and ´match ip address´ are indeed the most common parameters used in policy routing, the other options are mosty used in conjunction with manipulating routing protocols (including redistribution). What are you trying to achieve with your route-map ?

Regards,

GP

Hi GP

I need to set a different default-route for IP packets coming from a network which use my network just for transit. I have to do that just for the default route, all the more specific routes don't need any policy-routing. Thats why i tought it may be an idea to use the match next-hop or someting because the next hop would be a firewall leading to the outside and I have to use a different firewall for packets coming from this network.

I know that the two match commands mentioned are the most common used, but are they the only ones or is it possible, also not common, to use others in conjunction with pbr?

Simon

VIP Purple

Hello Simon,

the ´next-hop´ keyword is mainly used in BGP, or when you redistribute routes based on the next-hop address that corresponds to that route. So unless the default route you want to use comes from another protocol, and is being redistributed, you cannot really match on the next hop.

In your case, to achieve that the transit packets go out to your firewall, better use the ´match ip address´ and ´set interface´ or ´set ip next-hop´ commands in your route map...

HTH,

GP

Hi GP

I think you are right. But to make sure, would it be possible to use other match statements with pbr? Or are thouse other match statements meaningless with pbr and just and only to be used with redistribution?

Simon

Same question here, is possible to use "match tag" as a condition to apply then a "set vrf"?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content