Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

PC asking for Power?

Has anybody seen it before where a PC is requesting inline power - and then the link flaps because of it? I don't know if it's my 3560 or the PC but I think it's the PC.

7 REPLIES
Silver

Re: PC asking for Power?

I never heard the PC require inline power, because the PC will also plug to the power socket to draw the power, it should not draw the problem from the switch. Do you mean the USB network adapter ?

Any error log from the 3560 ? Any why you suspect it is PC inlinw power issue ? Please explain more.

Yeah, this is a PC that is plugged into the wall outlet, but when I watch the log -it's also showing a request for power on the FE port of the switch - and getting it granted. It's weird.

I have had situations where the switch has turned up inline power with no PoE device on the other end. I suspect that this is due to cross compatibility issues wit Cisco native power provisioning algorythm and 802.af standard.

Cisco reccomends dissabling power in interfaces that are know not to have an PoE cappable device attached.

"Switch(config-if)# power inline never"

that's what I ended up putting in there, but that kind of shoots me if somebody ends up putting a 7960 or 7970 in there later. I just was wondering if anybody else had seen it and what it was from. Thanks!

Silver

I think there is no way to re-enable it manually. However, if connect an IP phone to the switch but not work, we normally check the power at once.

Silver

Sorry or typo. I mean I think there is no way not to re-enable it manually.

What rev of IOS are you running?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content