Views
Helpful
Replies

pc's not present in network neighborhood

janith
Level 1
Level 1

Hi fellows

I have a lan with 6509 as the core switch and 2 x 4006 distribution switches. There are 54 edge (3524/3548) switches. There are 7 vlans. The PDC is acting as DHCP/WINS/DNS. The end users can get an ip address, Def gateway,H-nodetype from the DHCP.

The end nodes can see the PDC when you go to the network neighborhood. But the end nodes cannot see the other end nodes in the same vlan or other vlans.

But if I do a search computer by name I can find it and connect to that end user.

My question is how do I get all the endusers when I open network Neighborhood without everytime having to do a search computer.

Thanks guys

Champika

3 Replies 3

steve.barlow
Level 7
Level 7

Not an ip helper-address issue. Are the PCs registering with WINS properly? I am leaning towards a WINS issue here, as the router will forward the unicast WINS request made by the client. If the PCs are broadcasting the requests, it is a router issue as it won't forward them unless you tell it to by:

ip forward-protocol udp 137

ip forward-protocol udp 138

BUT don't do that if you have WINS.

Another possibility is lmhost files: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q150800&

But I believe it's a WINS issue. let us know.

Hope it helps.

Steve

michael-faust
Level 1
Level 1

See 'VLAN in Windows NT' dated June 17th, 2002 under the 'LAN Switching and Routing' section.

Maybe this could help you, I been through this problem before mfaust and a lot of guys help me to resolve it so he refer you to the conversation dated jun 17, 2002. With their technical tips My network neighborhood problem solved since then. It seems you already have a vlan network running but if the network neighborhood still the issue try the next tip.

Try to separate your wins server from dhcp, then add the ip address of wins server under the Vlan parameter in your 6500.

ex.

interface Vlan2

ip address VLAN (VLAN ip address gateway)

ip helper-address Wins (Wins server ip)

ip helper-address DHCP (DHCP server ip)

Q. Do you have multiple network OS running in your segmented LAN?.

I ask this because there is another way to deal if you are running with Novell and NT login?