cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Performance Matrix for Routers and Switches

patrick.hurley
Level 3
Level 3

Is there one source that gives us the number of packets per second that any router such as a 2621 or 7507 is rated for? Also for switches?

2 Replies 2

svermill
Level 4
Level 4

You may have an easier time with the switches but I can't say for sure. As for routers, Cisco has backed off of rating platforms with a PPS label. From my CCDA course material, a document written by a Cisco Enterprise Technical Marketing Group engineer (Merike Kaeo) called "Router Performance Design and Implementation Guide" was apparently published. I can't find it on CCO these days though. An excerpt is included in both the DCN course book and the CCDA Cert Guide. It basically says that there are far too many variables these days (packet size, switching method, queuing technique, the list goes on) to pin down a number. However, some rough numbers are included for a few of the lower end routers. For example, the 2500 is rated at roughly 1,000 pps using process switching and 6,000 pps using fast switching. Sorry, but neither the 2600 nor the 7500 is listed.

Let me know if you find that report anywhere.

phil
Level 1
Level 1

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf