cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

periodic backup of running configuration

jimmyjoseph
Level 1
Level 1

Does any one know of a utility which can be used to take periodic back ups of runnnig configuration from a networking equipment such as a router which out human intervention.

Right now we have the policy to save the latest copy of running configuration after making any change on the device. But this process is manual now. I'm looking at automating this so that a backup is saved at specific intervals automatically.

thanks and regards,

jimmy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

prafuljaded
Level 3
Level 3

U can use a Windows Box running Kiwi Cat Tools which is a freeware.

Chk out: http://www.kiwisyslog.com/

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

prafuljaded
Level 3
Level 3

U can use a Windows Box running Kiwi Cat Tools which is a freeware.

Chk out: http://www.kiwisyslog.com/

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

If you have the budget, ciscoworks2000 has this functionality

msingla
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jimmy,

No need to go for anything just write either a shell script or a TCL script.TCL is a very simple language to do and you can run that scrript either as cronjob or windows scheduler ,anything..

Or If you are unable to write U just write me I will write and send u the script in TCL for this purpose.

No need for any investment.

Hi,

Thanks for every ones suggestions..i tried the tol Kiwi..seems to be pretty cute tool. I'm just evaluating it. Looks like it will serve the need.

by the way could you let me know some URL to get some information onTCL ..where to start off with. I think i should learn that to write such scripts on my own.

thanks and regards,

jimmy.

Just serach google for tcl tutorials,similar to unix shell scripting

If you're going the script route, starting in IOS 12.2(13)T you can have the scripit telnet into the router and issue a 'show run | redirect ftp/tftp/etc' command. This might save some work with scripting.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: