Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

PGM Host mode

Hi,

Several CISCO routers / IOS versions support Pragmatic General Multicast (PGM, rfc3208) and allow either or both of two flavors to be configured: PGM Router Assist and PGM Host mode. What exactly is the purpose of PGM Host mode and how can it be used in practice?

Thanks for any insight / references you may be able to provide,

Ronald in 't Velt

TNO Physics and Electronics Laboratory

The Hague, The Netherlands

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: PGM Host mode

Re: PGM Host mode

OK, thanks. I guess I should have mentioned that I had already found that reference myself (but was still puzzled). In the mean time, I have also found the following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fipr_c/ipcpt3/1cfpgm.htm#1002636

which contains the intriguing statement:

"Note PGM contains an element that assists routers and switches in handling PGM transport data as it flows through a network. Unlike the Router Assist element, the Host element does not have a current practical application."

So my question remains: What is the purpose of / intention behind PGM Host mode? Also, in this context, can somebody clarify what a Virtual Host Interfave (vif) is and what it is used for ?

Thanks,

Ronald in 't Velt

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content