Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Ping OK, Telnet fail, but Telnet from adjacent router OK

We have 2 3600 routers in remote which connect to our local 3600 router. This week found the strange phenomena: these 2 routers can be pinged from local network, but can not be telnet.

Only telnet the local router first, then telnet to these 2 routers OK. Anyone has any idea? thanks!

6 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Ping OK, Telnet fail, but Telnet from adjacent router OK

Access-list or Access-group

Any access-class applied?

No any access-group limitation. 2 weeks before they could be accessed from local PC. But now it can only be pinged.

Cisco Employee

try a 'debug telnet' and 'debug ip tcp packet'

My experience w/ 'debug ip tcp packet' is the same as 'debug all'. You may want to be careful if this is a production router.

Try turning off cef. That has bitten me several times in the past with similar symptoms.

I've tried the debug, but have not seen any packet to the remote router though I can ping it. Then use Sniffer, found no packet went out of this PC. The PC has Solarwinds installed, maybe there is some relation. Need further investigation.

The PC can telnet to local ethernet port of local router, but no any remote router can be telneted. the PC can ping them.

The other PCs which use the same gateway of the PC can telnet local and remote routers.

Some strange.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content