Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping problem to a vlan1 address..

hyukin.kwon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a few switches which are cat6509,cat4006,cat3524. They are connected with each other through 802.1Q trunking. Main backbone is Cat6509. All devices have vlan 1 ip address for management.

Problem is ,sometimes, I can't ping the vlan 1 ip addresses of cat 4000 and cat 3524 from cat6509 but those devices are normaly operating and users on those devices can connect anywhere.

Is this the for traffic priority ? or devices' weird behavior ?

Thanks in advance..

Welcome any possibilities

7 Replies 7

Josef Oduwo
Level 7
Level 7

Is it always that you cannot ping these management addresses or just sometimes? Look at your access lists (deny ICMP)...

Josef.

Hi,Josef..

It happens from time to time..

Of couruse, there is not ACL about ICMP.

Is that possible that when there is burst traffic ?

thanks in advance..

If the supervisor gets really busy then it may not respond to a PING. If it's getting that busy though you need to find out what is driving that utilization . Can you telnet to the switch when it doesn't ping ?

Hi glen..

I couldn't ping and telnet in that situation. So I couldn't see the utilization of that devices.

Is the problem is result of High CPU utilization ?

In that situation , Traffic is forwarding normaly except pinging to the vlan 1 address.

Thanks in advance...

Sounds like it to me .

don't know how new your code is but you could use the command "show proc cpu history" and this will feed you a graph of the last few minutes and up to the last 72 hours for cpu utilization . Not sure if it is supported on the newer catos code, almost think it is .

Thanks glen..

I will try..

It's helpful..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: