Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

edw

Ping timeouts intermittant

Hiya,

I have three switches Catalsyt 3524. I am getting timeouts pinging certai port on these units. I have VLAN running but there fully open at present. Some machines on the vlan and the same switch ping better than other (ie less timeouts). I have two other machine on another swtich and vlan which are even worse. Im a bit stuck.

We have reboot the switch disconnected all the machines and only allowed one up. The switch are connected to a Catalsyt 6000 but not directly together.

Any ideas or thoughts ? This started about a week ago but no changes have been made before then.

Thanks for any help

Ed

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
1 REPLY
Bronze

Re: Ping timeouts intermittant

Hi Ed,

Check the interface counters for input errors such as alignment errors and runts.

Also if you ping the devices from their own default gateway, is the problem still there ? If so, then the packet loss is between the default gateway and the end device. Check every link between the default gateway and end device for interface errors.

If the ping from the device's default gateway works every time, then from that gateway ping the PC you are using to generate the ping timeouts. If that ping fails, then the problem is between that PC and the end devices default gateway. Check the router and switch port counters between that gateway and the PC sourcing the pings.

Views
Helpful
Replies