Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 501 to Software VPN Client

j.way
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My question is simple. Does the Pix 501 (the little feller) connect to a software VPN client? If not, does any PIX do this?

7 Replies 7

marcusl
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

What are you trying to accomplish? It is fully possible to use the software VPN client to connect to a PIX 501, however, not the other way around (from the PIX 501 to a software VPN client). This is since the client simply is just a client and don't have the "daemon"-functions included.

And no, if I haven't misunderstood your question, there is no PIX that will work in such scenario.

Also note that the PIX 501 has limitations on the number of concurrent VPN-sessions.

Kind regards,

Marcus Lundbom

CCNP, CCDP.

Thanks for your answer. Actually I realize by reading your response that I worded my question wrong.

What version of the Cisco software client would I use in order to connect to a PIX at a small office?

I am currently using NetScreen 5XP's for this application. However I would like to go with a PIX solution because we are purchasing a bunch of Cisco gear for a Data Center buildout. Also, because IOS still rules.

Thanks again...

Josh (CCNA)

zahmed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Just FYI : Correct me if I am wrong but your last sentence seems to indicate that you think PIX is IOS based. If thats really what you meant, please note that it is not.

~Zulfi

Thanks... I was just stating my affection for the Cisco "IOS oriented" command line interface in general. NetScreen is a similar OS as well. Although a bit more like a Linux/IOS mix.

Zulfi, can you answer the main question as to what version of VPN software will work as a client to the PIX 501?

Thanks again.

Josh

zahmed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sure. Go for 3.5.2 .

~Zulfi

zahmed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Use 3.5.1e instead. I thought 3.5.2 was out too.

Thanks Z... Will do...