Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

PIX 501 to Software VPN Client

Hi,

My question is simple. Does the Pix 501 (the little feller) connect to a software VPN client? If not, does any PIX do this?

7 REPLIES

Re: PIX 501 to Software VPN Client

Hi,

What are you trying to accomplish? It is fully possible to use the software VPN client to connect to a PIX 501, however, not the other way around (from the PIX 501 to a software VPN client). This is since the client simply is just a client and don't have the "daemon"-functions included.

And no, if I haven't misunderstood your question, there is no PIX that will work in such scenario.

Also note that the PIX 501 has limitations on the number of concurrent VPN-sessions.

Kind regards,

Marcus Lundbom

CCNP, CCDP.

Thanks for your answer. Actually I realize by reading your response that I worded my question wrong.

What version of the Cisco software client would I use in order to connect to a PIX at a small office?

I am currently using NetScreen 5XP's for this application. However I would like to go with a PIX solution because we are purchasing a bunch of Cisco gear for a Data Center buildout. Also, because IOS still rules.

Thanks again...

Josh (CCNA)

Bronze

Just FYI : Correct me if I am wrong but your last sentence seems to indicate that you think PIX is IOS based. If thats really what you meant, please note that it is not.

~Zulfi

Thanks... I was just stating my affection for the Cisco "IOS oriented" command line interface in general. NetScreen is a similar OS as well. Although a bit more like a Linux/IOS mix.

Zulfi, can you answer the main question as to what version of VPN software will work as a client to the PIX 501?

Thanks again.

Josh

Bronze

Sure. Go for 3.5.2 .

~Zulfi

Bronze

Use 3.5.1e instead. I thought 3.5.2 was out too.

Thanks Z... Will do...

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content