Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

PIX 506e, static and dynamic DNS assignment via dhcp

Ok, 506e connected to cable modem. Outside interface is DHCP. Inside interface is static, and has DHCP service running for clients inside.

Currently the DHCP service works just fine, assigning internal IPs, gateway, and DNS servers.

The DNS servers it assigns are the same that are handed to the outside interface, it just passes them on.

Thats all fine and dandy for internet sites.

I have a Windows 2k3 server running DNS for the domain my machines are on.

I would like to assign the server's IP as one of the DNS servers that the DHCP service passes along, but also have the DHCP service pass the internet DNSs along.

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
3 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: PIX 506e, static and dynamic DNS assignment via dhcp

To specify the Domain Name System (DNS) IP servers available to a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) client, use the dns-server DHCP pool configuration command

Use the no form of this command to remove the DNS server list.

dns-server address [address2 ... address8]

no dns-server

More details about DHCP configuration on this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1830/products_feature_guide09186a008008743b.html#19019

You might have to lookup this functionality specifically for your platform as I have no experience with it

HTH!

I can do that just fine, but then my DNS has to be all static. I'm look for some form of hybrid work around, if such a thing exists.

work around is to use WINS.

add wins service to server.

static assignment in the dhcpd service on the pix.

thank you windows.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.