cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 515E throughput

przyboro
Level 1
Level 1

I have a PIX 515E which is connected to three networks. The first network is the LAN, the second network is the DMZ and the third network is the outside. I have a web server in the DMZ which I am trying to back up using an ArcServe server on the LAN. The LAN and the DMZ are both 100Mbit full duplex

Backing up LAN servers I get an average of 400MB/min during the backup, while backing up from the DMZ to the LAN via the PIX I get an average of 9.5MB/min.

Is there a reason that the speed difference is so great? The backups are taking forever to complete.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

Check the following basic areas on the PIX when you want to investigate or troubleshoot performance issues:

*Speed and Duplex Settings

*PortFast, Channeling and Trunking

*Reverse DNS Lookups

For more information, see http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/110/pixperformance.html

Thanks much for your reply.

It would appear that the problem lay with the duplex that was set on the firewall. I changed it from full to half and the speed increase of a file transfer was 100-fold. I yet have to see the result of a backup run across the firewall but I am guessing it will be greatly increased. I still see a lot of collisions so I will do some more tweaking of the PIX using the document you pointed me to. Thanks again for your help

If the Switch that the firewall is connected to can support Full duplex communication then make sure you set it and the firewall to do that. You will then see greater speed and no collisions.

-JC

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: