Views
Helpful
Replies

Pl help on VLAN COnfig

nandurisrini
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends,

am beginner to VLANs. we have around 200 Users Operating on a Single Router(2611). Users Span across 10Nos. of 2900 Swicthes.

Now i tried to Configure a VLAN port on one of My Switch, with a workstation attached to it.. I lost Comunication with the rest of PCs.

How to Proceed Further. I only need Basic VLAN Config on L2 Switches. any pl. help me.

Rgds

Kalyan

4 Replies 4

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

That you loose connection is normal. There is no communication between nodes in different vlans. You need to interconnect the vlans by means of a router or L3-switch to get them to talk again.

The 2611 has two 10BT interfaces if I am correct. What you can do is split the network in two vlans and connect half the users on each port. This is not a performant solution.

To introduce vlans do the following:

plan your setup (ports, ip adressing etc.)

create the vtp-domain, this exchanges vlan-info between the switches.

configure the links between the switches as trunks.

install a router to interconnect the vlans.

Without any professional aid you will have quite a task to accomplish all this.

Goodluck,

Leo

Any means of Communication by COnfiguring the Secondary Interfaces on the ROuter and Keeping the Nodes in the Secondary Interface.

rgds

srini

above config will work if you have both the subnet in same VLAN.But that is not the normal practice.If you have created the VLANs on switches.Then to get inter-vlan routing , u need to create subinterface for each VLAN on 2611 router.

Regards,

Sachin

Can you Just eloberate and help me out with the commands that need to be given on Switches/ROuters.