cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Planning a partial mesh WAN

jblancke
Level 1
Level 1

Cna someone give some insite into the partial meshing of WAN links. My company is trying to divert traffic from the hub, Most of the traffic will be E-mail and the sorts. We will be doing sub interfaces on the lines and not increasing line speed. We have this setup on our hub but not antwhere else. Any bottlenecks, or routing issues to look out for? This is just in the thinking of it stage and no formal plan yet.If you have any questions please post and I'll respond as soon as possible..

3 Replies 3

millerv
Level 1
Level 1

Its the only way to go. If you already are running

subinterfaces, you are pretty much there. How are your wan links currently addressed ?

The wan links are addressed using the 252 mask We have a allotment of addresses assigned to the HUB to interior router links and the another address segment for the stubs and the mesh addressing, (still in the same 10.N.X.X range.) Interior routers are the wrong thing to call them but let me explain, If you where to draw a hub network you would draw a line from the hub to what we call our interior routers (this is where we will mesh), the topology caries out to the local offices from the interior on leased lines. The routers that Are being meshed are not running sub-interfaces but that's an easy task. I'm using leased lines on some of the interior routers and of cores can't connect them to the frame with out paying for another circuit, but I'll get most of the interior meshed. we will be partially meshing about 15 routers In the case of hub failure it will take down 2 offices that are in the same state as the HUB. The lines are used due to the cost savings. I'm hopping in the next few years the interior routers will be meshed and the hub will have a hot stand by. This setup will move most of the internal traffic away from the hub, while maintaining the one point of ingress and egress. Do you know how this will affect VOIP?

You are on the right track. I would suggest any of the Cisco design books/guides