Helpful
Replies

Please help me design a network...

travisleong
Level 1
Level 1

I have the following scenario:

1. 1 HQ with database and web servers.

2. 100 branches with 1 or 2 PC each running a registration application.

3. The branches must remain connected to the HQ for 12 hours a day using dial-up. Any changes/updating done on the PC will be reflected on the HQ's servers and vice versa.

4. Public users can access the Internet website to make registration. Any registration will be updated on the servers, as well as transmitted to all branches. If during office hours, the branches' PC will be updated. If after office hours, information will be stored but only transmitted when branches dial up the next day.

5. Only information pertaining to the particular branch will be updated.

Considering the above factors, please help me design a network using dial-up. Thanks!

2 Replies 2

jeff
Level 1
Level 1

If your branches need to be connected for 12 hours per day, why would you want to use Dial up instead of say Frame Relay, which would probably be more cost effective to say nothing of more secure. Which brings me to, how do you plan on securing your dial up network against hackers?

Seriously, you need to sit down and crunch numbers first: like what is the cost of dial vs. some leased line service or Internet. Have you thought about a VPN solution. Now THAT would be a SECURE dial solution.

How much data has to be transmitted each way?

Also, think ahead: once offices have go online and have access to main HQ, data requirements have a funny way of growing tremendously! Next they'll want printing and data backup.

You should really sit down with someone who has done this before.

stefanb
Level 1
Level 1

There are two domains, which define your infrastructure: Application and the network. The requirements how application transfer data: Burst, bandwidth, able to recover after hick-ups, caching, synchronization, etc. cannot be determined by your network infrastructure rather the infrastructure has to support those application functions and their requirements. Smart application design is able to save a lot of money. If those design takes WAN pricing schemes into account, savings might be substantial.

1) Put those into a DMZ behind a PIX.

2) You have to decide between dial-up or leased line. Do the math. You can secure dial-up connection via caller-ID checks and/or dial-back. Maybe even VPN together with DSL/cable modem might be an option.

3) Sync of data bases is an application issue not a network issue. Smart application design help you cutting costs. You can configure a router to dial-on-demand, if it seas certain "interesting traffic". You are able to combine this with queuing traffic management.

4, 5) Application issues. It looks like a central data base would be a good solution, with the branches being subsets, which get syncronized on a schedule. I would look into SAP, Oracle and other ERM vendors. If you want to avoid big headachs, go for a Unix solution, like SUN, at least for all central servers. Unix is stable, the platforms are stable, it scales very well, and is capable of high I/O, all what PCs cannot do. Do not bother with Linux either on an enterprise scale. If you go freeware or commercial for your software depends, how much internal recourses and skills you have available. Freeware is often advanced compared to commercial products, however you will not receive support.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: