Views
Helpful
Replies

Plz Help in configuring CORE Switch

kthned
Level 3
Level 3

Hi to All

I am configuring a 4510R chasis core layer switch through cisco configurator. I want to ask u people to help me regarding this selection. So please answer these questions

1. Can i use a single supervisor engine instead of the two. actually cost is the prob here

2. i hav selected WS-X4448-GB-SFP" Catalyst 4500 48-Port 1000Base-X (SFPs Optional) , Do i need to select any thing else for this SFP module.

Actually i need 6 modules supported chasis.

Thanks in advance.

Syed Umair Ali

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Please see attached example spec for 6500 from dynamic configuration tool. I have recommended 6748-SFP instead of 6724-SFP as you will only every get 1 x 20Gig connection to backplane with the 24 port option.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Martin Parry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Syed

You will require SFP modules to provide any connectivity to the switch. The description (SFP optional) is simply to do with the dynamic configurator. It means that in order for the module to work within the chosen chassis SFP modules are optional.

You will need to purchase some of the following:

GLC-T 1000BaseT converter (Copper)

GLC-SX-MM 1000BaseSX converter (Fibre)

GLC-LH-SM 1000BaseLH converter (Fibre)

GLC-ZX-SM 1000BaseZX converter (Fibre)

Regards

Martin

Thanks Martin for your kind help. It mean after purchasing

(WS-X4448-GB-SFP)

this card , I have to buy

48 x " GLC-T 1000BaseT converter (Copper) " converters. as the requirment document says

" 2x24 Port Gig Ethernet SFP module "

this means i hav to select the SFP module with 48 GBICs

Am i right , Plz Help

Thanks

Syed

Hi Syed

That is correct, you will need to purchase an SFP for every SFP port you have.

I am wondering however if you are putting 48 x copper SFP in there, why have you opted for the SFP blade over a copper card?

Also, you will need to bare in mind that you will not get true gig through all the ports in this card. Due to the 4000 architecture, you will get 6 Gbps per card = 1Gbps for every 8 ports.

The only way to get true gigabit wirespeed through all ports in a module is to use on of the 6 port ones like the WS-X4506-GB-T.

Regards

Martin

Thanks Martin . this mean that this selection will be not cost effective and not performance efficient.

So if i go for 6509 chasis and put there 2 modules of WS-X6724-SFP

Catalyst 6500 24-port GigE Mod: fabric-enabled

Will i again need the GBIC here as well.

If yes than plz suggest me some core layer (for

data Center) switch equiped with

4x48 Port 10/100/1000 UTP module

2x24 Port Gig Ethernet SFP module

Thanks in Advance

Syed Umair Ali

Hi Syed

Can you confirm if you require 1Gbps wirespeed performance from each port in the core box?

Regards

Martin

Hi Martyn

Yes Martyn it is correct i need 1Gbps wirespeed performance, because this core switch is for Data Center.

Thanks

Umair

Hi

Please see attached example spec for 6500 from dynamic configuration tool. I have recommended 6748-SFP instead of 6724-SFP as you will only every get 1 x 20Gig connection to backplane with the 24 port option.

Hope this helps

Hi Martin

This help me. Thanks a Lot.

Regards

Syed Umair Ali

Martin Parry
Level 3
Level 3

Oh and sorry yes you can just use a single supervisor, but you will have no redundancy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: