Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Point to Point Link Data Transfer

We have offices in two locations and they are connected through a 2Mbps IPLC link. We have ftp server in location A. When we are trying to upload a file to Location A from Location B we are getting an upload speed of 30Kbps. But we try to download a file from Location B to Location A we get a speed of 200Kbps. The end points in both the location is cisco 3640 Router. Can anyone advice me what could be the problem and how can i get the upload speed from location A to Location B more.

Thanks in Advance

4 REPLIES

Re: Point to Point Link Data Transfer

When downloading/using FTP, youre upp for TCP Window handling/handshake. Its TCP session that are limitation for youre FTP sessions. Try experimenting with diffrent size of TCP Window on your PC/Servers.

Hi,

I remember very stupid mistake in the past which behaved the same way. The cause was a forgotten "port storm-control unicast" command on a switch port.

Regards,

Milan

Bronze

The receiver in the slow connection is probably not offering a big tcp window. I never have found a way to configure the window. It seems like some os'calc it based on available memory and others are fixed. Win98 uses 8k and later wins use 64k.

Now that I think about it I think there is a regedit that changes it in Win98. Don't know what your hosts are.

Bronze

30Kbps (bits) is down in modem territory. Did you mean 30KBps (bytes)?

Even 30KBps, though, is too low of a number to attribute to TCP windows unless the link's round-trip latency is on the order of 250ms (if an 8KB window is being used) or 2 seconds (with a 64KB window). So if you're not experiencing this level of latency (which seems high for a point-to-point circuit), your problem is elsewhere.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content