Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Policy based routing for two diffrent internet links

Hi,

I have 2 internet links from ISP x and ISP y connected to 2 different routers which in turn is connected to my checkpoint firewall. I have two subnets in my internal network and want route traffic of subnet 1 through ISP x link and subnet 2 through ISP y link. I guess policy based routing can solve this. Can anybody help me out in this as to how to configure PBR to achieve this.

Amitava

4 REPLIES

Re: Policy based routing for two diffrent internet links

Hi,

Do you run BGP with these ISP's ? If so you can do PBR from router pair inside your routers that are directly connected to Internet. This is to point next hop for traffic outbound from each of the networks...

With help of BGP you can then extend the AS-path to make the traffic come the right way back for the different subnets as well.

If you don't need backup you can use PBR and only route one subnet per Provider..

Hi,

Thnaks for yopur reply. i'm not using BGP but I also think that BGP is the only way to achive this with PBR. I will try this out tonight and update. Thanks once again.

Amitava

Danne's right. just about the only way to effect traffic back into you is through the use of BGP. If your not running BGP with your ISP's you'll mostlikly have to rely on them to route the subnets as you want them. You can run PBR on your router but that will not affect how the traffic comes in to you. It will only affect how you handle it when you get it. if running BGP per pending your AS for network XYZ through ISP X is a good way to affect this and still provide you failover.

s-v

Hi,

I assume you have two serial and two ethernet on your router. each serial goes to each ISP and and two ethernet carry their respective subnets as well.

If thats the case, you can use PBR to pick packets from say e1-s1 and e2-s2 and vice versa.

Use PBR route map with "set interface" option

Say for ex for s1 create policy map like

route-map pbr permit 10

match ip address

set interface e1

And apply this to s1 using ip policy route-map

the same on E1 as well, with "set interface s1"

Follow the same for next pair of interface as well.

Also, make sure you policy route the traffic originated from the router as well, using ip local policy.

HTH

Rajesh

Views
Helpful
Replies