Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

policy based routing

I am trying to use pbr to route on source ip address. The network has two routes ospf and ripv2. The ripv2 route has two links to the destination. If i set up routemap using next hop interface it just doesn't work, if i use next hop IP address then it works fine but if the second hop fails then packets carry on routing using the pbr so never get to the destination.

Is there any way I can pbr but still be able to fallback to ospf route under link failure on the rip route.

3 REPLIES

Re: policy based routing

Hi,

There's an IOS feature designed to detect the next-hop unavailability and make the PBR ineffective when that does happen. The feature is called PBR with tracking options. You would use the keyword 'verify-availability' with the 'set ip next-hop' command and configure an RTR scheduler to track the state of the next-hop. When the next hop becomes unavailable would become ineffective and traffic would be routed normally, in your case it would start using the OSPF route.

See the link below for configuration steps.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk364/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080211f5c.shtml

HTH

Sundar

Gold

Sundar solution is the best but you may want to look at this.

You can define the nexthop to be a non directly connected ip if you use the recursive option.

If you read the link you can put in a nexthop and if that is not reachable it will use the recursive route.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1829/products_feature_guide09186a008021de72.html

Thanks for this I'll give it a try.

Steve

Views
Helpful
Replies