Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Port Activity

Hello,

We sell network access by the switch port. A client may have 45 ports activated, but they haven't used like 30 of them.

I know that I can go to a switch port interface and see when it had last received input (Last Input) to determine when it last received traffic (at least I think that's what that's telling me). However, this would not be simple over 200 switches. So, my question:

Is there any way to automate the process of going through a pile of switches to see when an interface last received traffic?

I have CiscoWorks 2000, but I don't think it has that ability. Correct me if I'm wrong. Are there other utilities that could do this without getting into something crazy like HPoV or Tivoli? I think What's Up Gold could do it via its SNMP Walker utility, but I'm looking for a simple solution similar to Cat Tools.

Thanks,

Dave

1 REPLY

Re: Port Activity

Depends on if you are comfortable with scripts.. If so then you can write a simple script to perform a snmpget to grab the counter and look for a delta. If you own HPopenview then you have a good, easy to use set of snmpwalk/snmpget scripts. Use can also compile UCD-snmp (available from sourceforge) to do the same.

If you dont want to go the script route, then you could use a graphical tool like MRTG (www.mrtg.org) or Concord (www.concord.com) to gather interface stats and you can review the output.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content