Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port channelling 4 NIC's on a 1000BaseT Ethernet

I want to make sure I have not overlooked a potential looping issue. I have a server with 4 NIC's where I have port channeled "on" each pair of connections creating 2 port channels. All the ports are on the same VLAN and going to the same switch. Is there a potential problem if port channeling is turned off or 1 of the links drops. I am running RIPv2. If anyone has used this feature in a similar topology and had any problems please let me know.

2 REPLIES

Re: Port channelling 4 NIC's on a 1000BaseT Ethernet

port channeling is on layer2, it shouldn't matter which routing protocol you uses. as long as the server end and the switch end setup matches (I think the server end often called teaming, there are at the least two type of teaming, only one type will work with the Cisco Cat switches based on my experence). it should work. Most of the new servers today comes with either two NICs or four, we use ether channel on teh 6509s, works really well.

Re: Port channelling 4 NIC's on a 1000BaseT Ethernet

which routing protocol to use is not the question, rather if one of the links goes down, what is the failover procedure if the channel_id and admin_group are different from each other?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content