cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port counters - last seen info

ogencheva
Level 1
Level 1

I need to gather statistics on when each port was in use last time for Cat 6500, 5500, 5000, 4500, 4000, 3550, 3400XL, 2900XL platforms. Does anyone know what command combination Cisco Works use to gather information for "LastSeen" column in UserTracking?Thanks in advance

4 Replies 4

ralphcarey99
Level 1
Level 1

I don't know for certain, but I've always assumed that CiscoWorks bases it's 'LastSeen' column on when the host's MAC address was last seen on the port/MAC address table during scheduled scans.

This is a reasonable assumption but CiscoWorks does not do a full scan every 5 min and the standard aging time for cam table is 5 min, right?

ogencheva
Level 1
Level 1

OK. I found a command in Native IOS : sh mac-address-table dyn

Does anyone know a match in CatIOS?

Thanks

MAC address table does age out (after 600 secs) I think the 'lastseen' column is intended as a long term guide to when & where devices were attached to the network rather than an up to the minute indicator. So if you look at 'lastseen' it tells you when a device disappeared off the network only accurate to the frequency of the scans.

The CatOS equivalent of 'sh mac- dyn' is 'sh cam dyn'.

If this is a long term project, then you really need to be using SNMP rather than CLI. There is an SNMP object which will tell you how long since a port status last changed (went from connected to unconnected or vice-versa). That would be a better way of checking if devices are still connected because it is less CPU intensive than repeatedly downloading the MAC address table to check if a device is still connected.