Replies

port problem on 3550 and 3500XL series

inghau
Level 1
Level 1

hello everybody

right now i'm having some problem on some switches

it's very strange because on some ports when i connect to the workstation

the light blinkin green and amber, but if i connect the same workstation to another port on the same switch it can work.

BUT the connection seem's to be lag or slow

if i ping from the connected workstation to other server on other VLAN sometimes "request time out" (about 5-10%)

if i try to ping from the switch it said about 20-30% time out.

this is happening on some port only :(

i'm having this problem on two different places

is it the hardware problem ?(perhaps because of the grounding)

fyi i'did not connect the grounding on the switches chassis.

any suggest are greatly welcome...

pleasee...

8 Replies 8

Hi,

Please check out the speed and duplex settings.

Set the duplex setting to fixed, full or half depending on your hardware.

Good Luck

Johan

Hello there :)

sorry but i've tried that already and still no luck :(

for your information before these port start to trouble my costumer hav been using the switches for about 1 year already without any problem

any other suggest ?

thank you for your reply

Try an other IOS ?

Regards,

Johan

Hello Johan

i've tried that already.

is there any possibilites that these few catalyst's port has been spoiled ?

Regards

Hi,

1) you are saying "costumer hav been using the switches for about 1 year already without any problem". What has been changed then in the network? New PCs, new cabling, ....?

2) Are you able to detect if the problem is on the port, cable, PC?

I.e. have you tried to connect the same PC to the switch via another cable (the cable legth can be a problem), or connect another PC to the same port via the same cable, etc., etc.?

You are saying it's a port problem. Does it mean that if you connect the same PC via the same cable to another port everything is OK?

Are there any problems seem vi "sh int" or "sh controller"?

Regards,

Milan

hi there,

1) On the first deployment in one of my costumer's site they were only using 3500XL series about 6 switches. but two months ago we just deploy a new 3550-12T for the SAP Server farms. (the first 10 port connect to the server) and port number 11 and 12 using 1000T GBIC module. to the other switch (3500XL-24) using 1000T GBIC module too.

everyhing is working nicely for the first 1,5 months but last week these problem start to rise.

my temporary solution is i'm deploying an D-link switch(non-manageable no VLAN support) with the uplink connected to other switch's port (this switch is still normal). And i plugged out these troubled workstation from the troubled switch and connect it to the D-link switch. Everything is working for now.

but my costumers need an answer :(

2) yes i can use fluke to test the cable and it seems there is nothing wrong with the cable.

for the sh int and sh controller report i'll get these report to you guys to check it out.. but as far as i remember there was nothing strange with the sh int counter. but i'll get that data again just to make sure

Regards

i n g h a u

Well,

I remember a problem with 1000T GBIC in 3500XL-24 in the past.

I tried to connect one importatnt server with it and after about three weeks the connection crashed without any log or error counter notice. (But no LED blinking.)

So I decided not to use these 1000T GBICs anymore in 3500XL-24.

But it happened a year ago. So the IOS might have been improved since.

Try to check bugs on TAC and release notes for 1000T GBIC.

Were the problematic PCs connected to 3550 directly or to 3524?

If I understand correctly, 1000T GBICs are not in the path from that PCs to the server now and everything is OK? So there is a possibility the 1000T GBIC might be the problem source.

Regards,

Milan

cmartin007
Level 1
Level 1

check your duplex and speed setting on the network applicance plugging into the switch, and also the port on the switch itself. Hard code the port and the network appliace to be the same duplex and speed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: