cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port security doesn't shutdown a port on a Cat 4000

jonwhitear
Level 1
Level 1

I have port security configured on a Cat 4000, but it doesn't shutdown the port. The configuration shows:

set port security 2/22 enable age 0 maximum 1 shutdown 0 unicast-flood enable violation shutdown

When I patch a workstation into the port, a 'show port security 2/22" shows the switch has learnt the mac, and it is secure.

However, when I patch a different workstation into the same port, the switch just learns the new mac address. Shouldn't it shut the port down, or am I missing something?!

Cheers,

Jon

5 Replies 5

tbaranski
Level 4
Level 4

You need to set the shutdown time to something other than "shutdown 0". See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801a1613.html

Doesn't "shutdown 0" mean "shutdown permanently"?

The link above states:

"You can specify how long a port is to remain disabled in the event of a security violation. By default, the port is shut down permanently. The valid range is from 1-1440 minutes.

If you set the time to zero, the shutdown is disabled for this port."

The wording above leads me to believe that if you don't specify a shutdown time, the default is permanent. But specifying 0 effectively turns shutdown off.

I've tried not specifying a shutdown time, but if I do that, the configuration reflects the default, i.e. shutdown 0.

I should add that I have other Cat 4000s running version 5 catos that work fine with the same port security config, so it looks like there's a bug in version 7.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: