cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port status Inactive

p.knight
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 2948G that we powered down for the hurricane. When we returned we brought power back up all my ports are showing Inactive. Is there a way to activate these ports? I have checked the configuration file, performed soft resets and hard resets, with no luck.

Thanks,

Phil

4 Replies 4

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Phil,

Can you please update if the vlans to which ports are assigned are available in "sh vlan"

Some time after reload the vlan database is gone and the port status may be inactive.

can you please check the "sh vlan" and update?

Regards,

Ankur

Thanks Ankur, You were right we actually changed the switch VTP from client to transparent then added the vlans and all the ports went to connected status.

Thanks very much for you help,

Phil

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Probably the switch is in VTP client mode and not getting VLANs from the VTP server. Make sure the trunk to the VTP server switch is up and trunking. As a workaround, you can change the VTP mode to transparent and configure all the VLANs.

Thanks, You were right we actually changed the switch VTP from client to transparent then added the vlans and all the ports went to connected status.

Thanks very much for you help,

Phil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: