Views
Helpful
Replies

(posted this in the wrong forum) Site to Site VLAN via Dark Fiber

stonnet72
Level 1
Level 1

Good Afternoon,

The following has been racking my brain for hours now but I have been unable to configure my switches to do complete the following scenario:

Site A

- Will have 1 3560 Switch that end users will plug into

- In addition there exists 4 3COM switches at this site that will have to plug into the C3560 switch

- the current network for it is 172.16.9.0

- there is no DHCP server at this site now but there will be one

- it will connect to Site B via dark fiber

- Site B houses the new switch 3560 Gig Switch

- this site has a DHCP server that is providing IP addresses for 172.16.9.0 network (via a helper addresses on the existing router, etc)

- dark fiber will eliminate router scenario and helper address, etc

- Trunking is not needed since everything is through a SM fiber connection

Can someone please tell me how I should go about creating a config file for these two switches?

Here is what I have been thinking of to get them to communicate

Essentially Site A's network will come into Site B's network via a VLAN and then it will be routed out a router on Site B's.

Can someone give me some guidance here. I know what I want to do but, I can not get the verbose down on paper.

Thank you very much for all of your help

2 Replies 2

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Configure the fiber connection as an access port on both switch A and B and they should be able to see each just like they were connected on the same wiring closet.

because I do not want to do this in a prod environment, I connected two ethernet ports (GiEth0/23) from Switch A and B together. I added Switch A's GigEth port to VLAN 3 on Switch B. Is this the correct thing to do and would this work if this was the fiber connection?

In addition, how do I route the traffic from Switch A to Switch B that is connected to a router. Please note that Switch A's network will be different from Switch B's network. Essentially I need to set up two VLAN's on Switch B. One to handle local traffic coming into switch and the other to handle traffic across the access port from Switch A.

Your help is appreciated and very valuable. Thank you very much.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: