Views
Helpful
Replies

Power Cycle Issue

Jeff Harned
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All

I have an odd situation here.  I have a 2950 switch configured using Multicast VLAN registration (MVR); one source port and one receiver port.

When I intially configured the switch, multicast data is received at the receiver port and drives my end unit.  This is what is expected.

Howerver, after doing a power cycle on the switch (pulling the plug) the end device is idle; it not receiving data any longer.  I had saved the

configuration file be entering the "copy running-config startup-config" command. 

After the switch reboots I went back and entered  the  command "show startup-config"  and the configuration file is there!! 

The end unit though is not receiving multicast data now.  What is happenning??

Thanks.

Regards,

Jeff

mvr vlan 5
mvr

mvr mode dynamic

mvr group 239.1.1.3

!

vlan 5 ,10

!

interface FastEthernet0/10

switchport access vlan 5

switchport mode access

mvr type source

mvr vlan 5 group 239.1.1.3

!

interface FastEthernet0/15

switchport access vlan 10

switchport mode access

mvr type receiver

mvr vlan 5 group 239.1.1.3

!

Configuration was saved using "copy running-config startup-config"

4 Replies 4

Ankur Arora
Level 1
Level 1

Create a span session and capture packets at the exit interface to confirm whether the switch is even sending multicast traffic across or not. This might help you to isolate where exactly the issue lies.

Thanks

Ankur

"Please rate the post if found useful"

Hi Ankur

Thanks for your reply.  However, according to the info for a 2950 I can not monitor on a VLAN.  The source and receiver

ports both are associated with VLANs.  Perhaps I am not understanding on what you are saying.  I know packets

are not being sent because the end device units have LEDs that flash when multicast traffic is received.  Also using

Wireshark indicates no multicast traffic being received.

Like I indicated in the original post multicast data was being received by the end devices beore the power cycle.

Would you explain on how to do the test that you suggested?

Thanks.

Regards,

Jeff

Jeff,

What i am saying is to create a span session for both the interface.

Following are the steps:

Connect a laptop/pc on any empty interface on the switch, with wireshark on it.

Make sure your pc is able to ping the switch.

mon session 1 source int FastEthernet0/10 both

mon session 1 dest int Fa(interface where your pc is connected)

Once you to this do a shut, no shut to the fa0/10, and run wireshark on the pc, you will get the packets captured on the wireshark.

Then on the wireshark you will be able to see whether the switch is sending the multicast traffic or not.

This way you can isolate the problem is with the switch or the end device.

Do the same for the other interface as well.

However if you have already checked wireshark captures on the end device, the issue is with something else on the switch and you don't need to perform the above steps.

Let me see if i can find something related to MVR that might be causing the issue.

Thanks

Ankur

"Please rate this post if found useful"

Hi Ankur

I have worked with MVR in the past and I had something in my notes that relates to what I am seeing now that

may lead to an answer.  There may be a link betwen a standard VLAN and a MVR VLAN used in the same configuration.

If you look at my configuration you noticed that I have a standard VLAN 10 along with a MVR VLAN 5.  According to

my interpretaion on using MVR, a receiver port can not belong to the MVR VLAN source port.  This is why I am using

VLAN 10 for the receiver port.

Like I mentioned the configuration worked until I did a power cycle.  Could this be the clue on why it is not working now?

Thanks.

Regards

Jeff

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: