Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Power for 6500 series- single, bi, or tri-phase

Hello-

I'm trying to install a 6500 series router with 3000W power supplies in South America.

The service provider has 110VAC tri-phase power at the site, and wants to run the power supplies on two of the phases- giving an effective 208VAC.

I'm wondering if the imperfect phase differential (240 degrees, not 180) between the two "hot" lines will cause problems with the power supplies- the documentation states that the units support 200-220VAC in their input specification with an effective 50-60hz frequency, but I assume this is based on normal North American 220VAC bi-phase (180 degree) power, not just pulling two phases out of a three-phase supply.

Thanks-

P

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Power for 6500 series- single, bi, or tri-phase

Hi P,

All Catalyst 6500 Power Supplies require a single phase source. All AC power supply inputs are fully isolated.

-Source AC can be out of phase between multiple power supplies in the same chassis, which means that PS1 can be operating from phase A and PS2 can be operating from phase B.

-Source AC can be out of phase between AC inputs on power supplies that are equipped with multiple AC inputs, which means that power cord 1 can be plugged into phase A and power cord 2 can be plugged into phase B.

Hope that clears it up.

-Bobby

Re: Power for 6500 series- single, bi, or tri-phase

Hi P,

what bthekkek says is 100% perfect, because even in our organization we have cisco 6509 with 4000W p/s, PS1 is connected in phase-A & PS2 is connected in phase-B, & it is up & running for the past 2 years with no probz.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content