cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PPP Callback, Back-up ISDN interface, DDR, restoration of primary link.

vijayendran
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends

My Indian office and UK office is connected by a point-to-point dedicated serial leased line.

I have backed-up this serial link with an ISDN link between these two offices. Presently, if the primary link fails, the ISDN is triggered from the Indian router. There is interesting traffic generated only at the Indian office and the UK office does not generate any interesting traffic.

Now we have planned to pass on the ISDN cost to the UK office by configuring the UK router as the PPP Callback server and the Indian router as the PPP Callback client, and thereby retaining the Indian router as the triggerer of the ISDN link.

Now my query is that:

Let us consider that the ISDN link has been triggered by the Indian router due to a failure of the serial link on the Indian router, and the UK router calls back the Indian router.

If the serial interface on the Indian router comes up again, would the PPP Callback server (the UK router) detect the revival of the serial interface on the Indian router and let the serial interface on the Indian router take over the network ?

Does a combination of configuration of back-up ISDN interface and PPP callback provide such a feature by default ? If not, is there a way to achieve such a funtionality on my network ?

I would be thankful for all kinds of solutions suggested by any of us.

Thanks and regards

Vijayendran Sridharan

1 Reply 1

jasyoung
Level 7
Level 7

Your plan should work just fine. The 'backup interface' command on the Indian side will force the BRI interface down when the serial interface comes up, after the configured 'backup delay' interval, no matter which side initiated the current call.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: