cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ppp multilink and floating static route for backup

cdebouvry
Level 1
Level 1

I have a router on which i configured PPP multilink on its 2 serials: i would like to configure a backup with some floating routes.

The problem is that the gateway for the current routes is the address of the loopback (which is also the adresse on the virtual-template interface);so when the serials are down , as the loopback is still UP, the current routes are still available and the alternate routes are not used. So i would like to know if and how i can use floating static routes ( for instance could i use the virtual-access interface as the gateway for the current routes?)

1 Reply 1

mljohnson
Level 4
Level 4

You can't point a static route to a virtual-access interface. You should be able to point the static route to the virtual-template interface rather than the loopback (I assume you are using static routes all around, since dynamic routes would be lost once the serial links went down). With a static route pointing to the virtual-template interface, if the MPPP bundle goes down the route should be removed from the table. If this doesn't work, then you may have to consider either running a dynamic protocol over the serial links, or not using MPPP to bundle the serial interfaces but rather using CEF to load balance the packets.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: