Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ppp vs. frame

I have 180 sites that I plan to connect to one of four regional nodes with 1-2 t1 leased lines. One of the T1’s will be used for data only and the second one will be used for voice primarily. I would like to be able to use the spare bandwidth on the voice T1 at night. The voice will regular tdm voice not voip. I am leaning toward a private frame switch at each node tied back to the data center with dual ds3 connections. I would like to get your option on the connection from the end sites to the nodes. Considering flexibility, the management of the end devices, through put, and multiple T1 in the future for data. Choose one: PPP or Frame why?

3 REPLIES

Re: ppp vs. frame

I'm curious how TDM will provide you with the flexibility of utilizing unused bandwidth?

Time of day maps. I think ip for convergence is great but I don’t feel that it is quite ready. with tdm as old as it is a ds0 is 64k all the time with no special configs and nothing else can impeded on that channel.

I believe main differences would be that ppp provides you with many security and link control features, while frame provides you with the flexibility of having multiple vc's within one physical interface. So, I'd say if you don't need to establish vc's, go for ppp!

Views
Helpful
Replies