Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

PPPoE enable on Fastethernet - ACLs

If I enable PPPoE on the Fastethernet Interface of my router, how can I restrict people from configuring a static IP from the subnet or secondary subnet on the FE interface? I want to force them to PPPoE.

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: PPPoE enable on Fastethernet - ACLs

When the There is no way to restrict customer's from configuring the static ip address on the fastethernet port..But you can configure dynamic ip address allocation during PPPoE to that eth port so that static ip address will not work.

I am using a default IP pool for the vpdn virtual template which is different from the FastE subnet, but if you know the subnet you can staticly assign an address and not do PPPoE at all. Can you elaborate or restate this for my simple mind? Thanks.

VIP Purple

This might seem overly simplistic, but have you considered the simple option of not configuring IP on the FastEthernet interface?

It is not required for PPPoE operation.

If IP is not operating on the interface, then clients on that network segment can not interfere with its operation.

That's a good idea that I could resort to and use another Ethernet interface without IP configured, but at the moment I have PPPoE enabled on the main interface of the IP LAN. The management of the DSLAMs are IP and it is in-band. I need to maintain IP connectivity also. Thanks.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content