Views
Helpful
Replies

prevent configuration of ip address as default gateway ip address

christina_neo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would really appreciate if anyone could advise if there is any way to prevent people from configuring their PC ip address to be the default gateway ip address?

Certain times, end user might configure the default gateway ip address on their pc as their ip address which disrupts the network.

Thanks!!!

Christina

3 Replies 3

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

one way i would think off here is to go for DHCP services which can take care of IP allocation and other policy enforcements like DNS,Default Gatway,WINS IP also the Domain name..

regds

hi,

thanks for your advise. However, with static ip address, we might have difficulty in preventing people from entering the wrong ip address.

I am wondering if there is any way on the switch/router side where we can block people from sending the following e.g.

May 7 17:45:18: %HSRP-4-DUPADDR: Duplicate address 10.1.1.1 on Vlan102, sourced by 0000.0c07.ac78

thanks

Christina

Hi, are you sure that it's a client computer that has the same IP, since it's a HSRP DUPADDR's message my guess is that you have another router/switch running HSRP with a missconfigured interface.

But then again, I could be wrong.

Like the previous post says, using a DHCP is recomended to build away problems like this.

Here's an explanation off this error message from the Cisco website.

Explanation

The IP address in an HSRP message that was received on the specified interface is the same as the IP address of the router. Another router might be configured with the same IP address. The most likely cause of this condition is a network loop or a misconfigured switch that is causing the router to see its own HSRP hello messages.

Recommended Action

Check the configurations on all the HSRP routers to ensure that the interface IP addresses are unique. Make sure that no network loops exist. If port channels are configured, check that the switch is correctly configured for port channels. Enter the standby use-bia command so that the error message displays the interface MAC address of the sending router, which can be used to determine if the error message is caused by a misconfigured router or a network loop.