Helpful
Replies

Printing via WAN

jprada
Level 1
Level 1

I have this scenario:

1.- building A where all file servers are working

2.- building B there is a dept that only has 25 people and computers and printers but not servers.

Note; both buildings are connected via T1 and two routers

3.- servers are Novell 4.11 , therefore tha traffic is ipx/spx and located in

building A

4.- people can login into the servers fine

Now the router are routing IP as well as IPX, so that part works.

Well the Q system is in the novell servers but the Lan Admin says that when he uses the Jetadmin utility from HP company, he cannot see the jetadmin card

( these NIC cards are located on the printers ). He says that is a problem with the routers because IPX cannot travel the cable, therefore he is not able to attach the printers to the proper Qs files

????????? I gave the IPX and IP command on the router and so far there is communication between the two buildings. So I am doing something wrong here ? Am I missing a command on the routers that allows the Lan Admin setup the printers in Building B from the building A?

Thanks for any Ideas that help me to understand this problem.

Jorge Prada

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Do not assign the same IPX network number on router B (e0) for you'll bring down the whole network if you do that. Routing (whether IP or IPX) requires different subnets/network everywhere. You are allowed to configure same IPX network on B if you want but you MUST enable bridging for IPX. I think that there might be a IPX SAP filter setup on either of the routers. In your setup, if the JetAdmin printer is on router A and the servers are on router B then do the following:

1. On router A do "show IPX server" to see if you can see the JetAdmin cards advertise its presence on the network or not. Note down the MAC address and the server name.

2. On router B do the same command and search for a matching entry. If you don't see anything then there is a SAP filter setup somewhere between A and B. Are you familiar with SAP filters?

3. If no matching in step 2 then manually create SAP filters to be permit between the 2 routers and carry out the same step 1-2 again.

Let me know how you go.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

michael-faust
Level 1
Level 1

It sounds like you have IPX set up fine because the users can login. Are the Jetadmin cards set up for IPX? Are they set up correctly (proper network, proper encapsulation, etc.)? If so, do they appear in the SAP table of the local router (show IPX server)? Do the appear in the SAP table at the remote end? Verify all of this.

Hi, here is what I found:

.- Are the Jetadmin cards set up for IPX?

1.- jetadmin cards are setup for IPX and also for IP. Therefore they have an IP number assigned

.- Are they set up correctly (proper network, proper encapsulation, etc.)?

2.- are they setup correctly?? I think that yes. When i saw the jetadmin utility , the card that we are talking about have all protocols checked, frames are in auto mode.

.- do they appear in the SAP table of the local router (show IPX server)? Do the appear in the SAP table at the remote end? .

3.- I cannot see them at the remote end ( building B ) when i type: sh ipx servers ,but I can see all other printers and also any kind of servers.

4.- executing jetadmin utility from building B cannot see the servers Q in biulding A

Now, the printers that I can see ,they all have a Novell server close to them. With this I mean: Chicago has a Novell server with Qs defined and printers and I can see them.

Dallas same thing.

But this building B has no a Novell server in that location, they are login in , coming through the T1 line . The only server that they have is a Windows DHCP but that is all.

perhaps they will need a Novell server over there and define print Qs there?

NOTE; I can see these printer but in IP fashion not in IPX fashion.

I am sure I am missing something here , but I do not see it.

Jorge Prada

Frederic Vanderbecq
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If IPX services are being propagated between routers, then IPX works fine.

One possible explanation might be that the router connected on the printer segment does not use the same IPX encapsulation as the printers. You may want to check that.

Don Saling
Level 1
Level 1

The JetAdmin program has multiple ways of discovering printers. I believe the default is to use layer 2 broadcasts that are neither IP or IPX. These packets will not be forwarded across your routers. Have the Lan Admin configure his JetAdmin to discover with IP or IPX.

michael-faust
Level 1
Level 1

Did dsaling solve your problem or are you still having trouble?

Well, the IPX part is not working. I was able to implement IP printing. I just defined the printer at the workstation using the IP assigned to the printer. It printed but the print job did not go through any Novell Q.

Now let me ask, I have this setup;

ipx network 123 e0-ROUTER"A".......T1 line..........ROUTER"B" e0 ipx network 567

Now the print Q and servers are in the 123 IPX network siide of the router A . Should I need to have the same IPX network number on the router B?

Do not assign the same IPX network number on router B (e0) for you'll bring down the whole network if you do that. Routing (whether IP or IPX) requires different subnets/network everywhere. You are allowed to configure same IPX network on B if you want but you MUST enable bridging for IPX. I think that there might be a IPX SAP filter setup on either of the routers. In your setup, if the JetAdmin printer is on router A and the servers are on router B then do the following:

1. On router A do "show IPX server" to see if you can see the JetAdmin cards advertise its presence on the network or not. Note down the MAC address and the server name.

2. On router B do the same command and search for a matching entry. If you don't see anything then there is a SAP filter setup somewhere between A and B. Are you familiar with SAP filters?

3. If no matching in step 2 then manually create SAP filters to be permit between the 2 routers and carry out the same step 1-2 again.

Let me know how you go.

Thank you all for all the help given.

I found a SAP access-list in ruoter A. I removed and then I could see the printers from side B and side B could see the printers from side A. I was not an expert in SAP filters but I am now.

sorry because took so long , from my part, to understand your explanations about the problem, but thanks for your time and for all your ideas.

The printers are working now and in the way we wanted.

Jorge Prada