Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Problem accessing a cisco 3550 vlan via telnet or ping

I have set up a vlan and given it an IP address and subnet mask, plus the unit has a default gateway. All the appropriate ports are in the vlan , and the vlan is functioning fine at that level.

I can telnet onto the switch from a laptop directly connected to the switch, and from a router connected into the vlan. However, everything the other side of the router can't ping or telnet the switch.

I have check the routers routes, and all is well, I can ping and telnet onto the pc directly connected to the switch, just not the switch itself.

I have checked the settings several times, and I can see no errors, has anyone seen this problem before?

Tx in advance

Nick

3 REPLIES

Re: Problem accessing a cisco 3550 vlan via telnet or ping

Yes - I am in the middle of the same issue and just upgraded to the new IOS. I am in the middle of testing but upgrade the 3550 and see if that resolves your connectivity issue.

New version:

(Depends if you are using SMI or EMI but go to Cisco's software center)

Version 12.1(9)EA1a

It will be a .tar extension use the following when transferring the image to the 3550:

archieve download-sw /overwrite /reload tftp:[ tftp Server address]/filename

Hope that helps .

As I have a WS-C3550-T and not a 24 or 48 , it is not clear whether I should use the SMI or the EMI from the download centre. The version I currently have installed is 12.1(6)EA1a

I am thinking the EMI version, your thoughts?

Tx

Nick

The version depends on:

1. What you paid for on your service contract

2. The specific needs of your environment and the role the switch plays.

If I remember correctly, the SMI is standard L2 whereas EMI is enterprise which supports L3.

Hope that helps.

Views
Helpful
Replies