Views
Helpful
Replies

problem in 1721 router

karthikcna5
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

In my client place 1721 router is installed with two wan links on S0 & E0.int s0 is leased line connectivity and e0 connecitivity is radio link.i want to make e0 as redaundant link for s0 i.e if s0 link goes down e0 link should be up automatically.Pls help me to solve this issue.Both wan connectivity are from seperate routers.

with regards and awaiting for all your help

karthik

4 Replies 4

Hello,

I guess the easiest way would be just to make the Ethernet0 interface the backup interface for your Serial 0 interface and put a floating static route with an administrative distance into your configuration higher than any other route. The config would look like this:

interface Serial0

backup interface ethernet0

!

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ethernet0 250

This way, in case the serial line goes down, the Ethernet interface kicks in as the backup interface, and all traffic is routed through that interface.

HTH,

Georg

Georg

hi karthik

if ur facing probs with redundandcy(ie.,auto fallback) and if both the links are connected to the same remote location ,try configuring 2 tunnels with ones source as ur serial and others as ur ethernet.

keepalives are reqd on both the sides and use floating static routes(primary - tunnel with serial as source and secondary - tunnel with ethernet as source with higher admin distance).

prem

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your suggesstion.But the both the links are from different remote location.

regards

karthik

ctallas
Level 1
Level 1

IMO, the best way to make use of both links is to load-balance them using BGP. This, of course, assuming both E0 and S0 terminate on different aggregate devices.