Replies

Problem : redundance MSFC2

aauvinet
Level 1
Level 1

our config : CAt OS= 8.1 / IOS MSFC =12.1.20

2 cards sup2/MSFC2 with SRM enable

IP and IPX

our problem : at switch start, sup-module1 shows OK, sup-module2 on standby, but on MSFC-module1 VLAN1 is up but doesn't work.

shut/noshut on VLAN 1 is necessary.

Why?

12 Replies 12

kodered
Level 1
Level 1

to better get an idea of what is going on, gonna have to get some more info.. Are other vlans working? are you using vlan 1 for management purposes? or ?? The second msfc really doesnt seem to have any play here, cause it has no bearing on anything unless the primary fails.

Thinking about this....

Yes other Vlans working, Vlan 1 is the vlan of management.

the second MSFC is only for redundance.

This is quite bizarre indeed. Having the configs would help alot for me to figure this out, cause in my head this doesnt sound right. Simple solution being, dont ever power down switch.

(0_o)

kodered
Level 1
Level 1

Giving this some more thought, crucial question here, are you using STP? Wondering if you are getting L2 loops.

Still thinking about this..

(0_o)

preddyi
Level 3
Level 3

1.Regarding second SUP engine not coming on line, Pls check if the CAT OS on both SUP engines is same.

2.Regarding VLAN 1 not working, wether you are running HSRP between primary MSFC and secondary MSFC for VLAN 1 ?

the second sup is not online, the cat oS on both SUP is same.

No hsrp,

the MSFCon slot 2 boot on sup-slot0: not bootflash, little space on flash(16 Mb)

Not sure what you mean by Vlan 1 intf is up and not working. Do you mean that line protocol is up but not pingable by a device on the same vlan? Some things to check.

- Make sure that SRM is fully sync'd up with command, show redundancy, from MSFC

- See is the sup sees the MSFC's mac-address with commands, show mls cef mac and show cam system from the sup

- Check the startup config on the MSFC with the command, show start

Int vlan 1 is up and not working and other device on same vlan not pingable.

int vlan 1 working after shut-noshut command.

Can you check the same with single Sup engine,( physically remove the redundant sup engine from slot 2)

If still problem is there, Swap the sup engines and check.(with only one card)

If you have dual sup/msfc in the same chassis, both msfc's have to be configured identical other than the ip address assigned to the interface. Do you have vlan 1 configured with an ip in up/up state on both msfc?

You may also want to span port 15/1 to see if the ping ever makes it to the msfc.

Craig Norborg
Level 4
Level 4

Ok, if I'm not wrong, this is a "bad interaction" between MSFC IOS 12.1.19E1 (or more specifically that bootloader) and older CatOS's. The actual fix is to upgrade your CatOS to a newer version.

Check out bug CSCeb02380 for more details.

My MSFC is IOS 12.1.20 ( same Bootldr) and Cat OS is 8.1.3

I will do test next week, the catalyst is going to product.

sorry for my english,

thanks