Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem when upgrading Cat 3750 IOS

m.benhassine
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all;

When trying to upgrade a Cisco Catalyst 3750's IOS, the file is downloaded to the Switch, but when trying to extract, it suddenly stops and prompts that the " update/info" file is missing. When the two files update/info are created, the upgrade fails as well saying that it could not create the file update/info!?

Any idea to resolve this issu will be strongly appreciated.

King regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You need to download the image with Web Based Dev Mgr, that is the image with .tar and it has additional files needed for Web Based Management. The point is you cannot do "archive download-sw" on a .bin file, it's not needed to be archived or uncompressed. This is why you are getting teh error message - you are tyring to use "archive" command on a bin file. If you want to upgrade using the .bin file use the copy tftp command.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

Are the 3750 stacked? If they are are you upgrading the member? Are you using archive with the .tar image? the error sounds like you use archive download-sw command, make sure it's the right .tar file. If it continues to fail I suggest upgrading just the .bin. Will you be willing to just upgrade the .bin instead?

Yes. Three 3750 in full-Bandwidth connection (in a loop). I am upgrading the master. I am connected to the Master (Console Port and Ethernet (VLAN1)).

From Cisco, I couldn't got the .tar. only .bin are available. I learned that the update/info comes with the .bin originally downloaded from Cisco in a .tar file. So the solution I adopted is to download the .bin and then tar it locally and proceed to upgrade using the archive download-sw command. But here the upgared fails asking for the update/info. When I create them on the switch, the upgrade fails as well saying that it could not create the update/info file.

I would like preferably to make a complete upgrade the full image and not only the .bin. but if there is not a solution, so why not upgrade just the .bin and in this case, do you have an idea on the difference between this and a full upgrade?

Please notice, I am trying to upgrade from 12.2(25)SEB4 or older from three trains SEB, SEC and SED, to SEC2 or SED.

Please notice also that the original image in the 3750, doesn't contain a update/info file. Does this mean it was corrupted?

From Cisco, I couldn't got the .tar. only .bin are available. I learned that the update/info comes with the .bin originally downloaded from Cisco in a .tar file. So the solution I adopted is to download the .bin and then tar it locally and proceed to upgrade using the archive download-sw command.

>> You can't archive a .bin into the flash, it's for .tar only. If you are upgrading just the .bin, you must do so with copy tftp.

For example:

Switch#archive download-sw /leave-old-sw

tftp://11.11.11.2/c3750-advipservicesk9-mz.122-25.SEC2.bin

Could not buffer tarfile...using multiple downloads

examining image...

%Error opening tftp://11.11.11.2/c3750-advipservicesk9-mz.122-25.SEC2.bin

(Timed

out)

%Error opening flash:update/info (No such file or directory)

ERROR: Image is not a valid IOS image archive.

I would like preferably to make a complete upgrade the full image and not only the .bin. but if there is not a solution, so why not upgrade just the .bin and in this case, do you have an idea on the difference between this and a full upgrade?

>> use the archive for .tar files not .bin. The bin upgrade is okay, if you do not use the GUI to configure the stack or the switch alone. the image with .tar extension have extra files needed switch management via GUI interface.

The .tar images are available on CCO, I just checked:

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/Images.x?relVer=12.2.25-SEE&mdfid=279486488&sftType=IOS&optPlat=null&nodecount=3&edesignator=SEE

See if you can download the .tar image and try to archive download-sw again. I believe this is the issue.

I am sorry, but the .tar for the 122(25)SEC2 is not there. We could find just the .bin. Please see the attachement.

You need to download the image with Web Based Dev Mgr, that is the image with .tar and it has additional files needed for Web Based Management. The point is you cannot do "archive download-sw" on a .bin file, it's not needed to be archived or uncompressed. This is why you are getting teh error message - you are tyring to use "archive" command on a bin file. If you want to upgrade using the .bin file use the copy tftp command.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: