cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with 1700 Serie Router ( wierd characters )

brenaldino
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a problem with a 1700 router. I was downloading IOS image from a TFTP server with xmodem when there was a short circuit. Now the router got crashed and when starting hyperterminal i can't access the router cause it displays wierd characters/letters so i can't read any of it or try to get in recovery mode. Is there any other solution to get this fixed ?

10 Replies 10

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Hyperterm will probably crash due to the weird characters that are sent to it. Reset the HT app and try again, I assume that the router will end up in boot> mode eventually. You could also try to force this by sending BRK at boot (passwd recovery procedure)

You can then retry to upload an IOS via Xmodem.

Regards,

Leo

Leo thanks for the quick reply.

I have reset the hyperterminal few times but that didn't help. I also switched the router on and off but that didn't help either. I tried to force in recover mode with ctrl+break but only thing i get is wierd characters like: 2]2]2]2]2]2.

Thanks for your help anyways.

regards,

Brenaldo

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Brenaldo

Your symptoms sound like the port speed on the console may have been altered. I would suggest that you go through all the port speeds (you should re-initialize hyperterm each time that you change the port speed) and see if one of the speeds will let you into the console.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi rick,

Thanks for you reply.

I used the standard settings before. I don't know why port speed could change it but i'll give it a try.

regards,

Brenaldo

Brenaldo

I am not sure quite what you meant when you said :"when there was a short circuit" but it seems sufficiently strange to me that it might have changed the config register value of the router (which is what controls the port speed of the console).

And whether we know what changed it or not, the symptoms that you describe sound very much like a port speed issue on the console.

Try all the various speeds (be sure to initialize hyperterm between each speed change) and let us know what happens.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

What i meant with "short circuit" is that the power went down in the middel of upload from the tftp server to the router. But thanks for your advise i'll let you know what happend.

regards,

Brenaldo

Hi rick,

I tried your suggestion but that ain't working.I still get wierd letters. Maybe a screenshot that i made would help to clear what i actully mean.

regards,

Brenaldo

Brenaldo

Thanks for posting the screen shot. I continue to believe that the symptoms sound like - and look like - a console port speed mismatch.

Just to verify an assumption: am I correct in assuming that you are connected directly to the console port rather than going through a terminal server to access the console port?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi rick,

Hmm, actully router is connected through a terminal to access the console port.

When I was uploaden the IOS via xmodem it crashed and I think is there a corrupt IOS on the flash wich the router cannot read. Also the router OK LED is blinking and in the manual it does not say anything about what error one blink means. But I am going to connect the router directly and see what happens

I'll let you how it went.

regards,

Brenaldo

Brenaldo

If the router crashed while you were loading an IOS to flash, it is quite likely that there is a corrupt image in flash. (Depending on whether you erased flash to load the new image, and whether your flash is large enough to contain two images, there may or may not be a bootable image in flash.) But I do not believe that the wierd characters that you describe are related to a corrupt image. As I said they sound to me to be much more like a console speed mismatch. Connecting directly to the console port would be good to try to resolve whether console port speed is the issue.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: