cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with ATM DS-3 links and 3745 router

dscrimpsher
Level 1
Level 1

I have a problem with a couple of ATM DS-3 point-to-point links. I have a 3745 router in the middle. The two distant ends are 2621 routers. This is the senario- some time over the weekend something happens and the ATM VC go to an INAC status. I look at the interfaces and subinterfaces and they are up/up. I do a 'show atm vc' on the 3745 and the VC are INAC status. I have installed a modem on the aux port of the 2621 for remote management. When I do a 'shwn atm vc' on the 2621 the VC are DOWN.

The only way I am able to get the VCs to come up is to power cycle the 3745. I already have a call into TAC, no solution yet. We are using our own radio equipment to provide the connection between routers. I am not sure where to start. Any ideas are welcome.

2 Replies 2

9mmurphy
Level 1
Level 1

Have you contacted your ATM service provider? They may have had problems with your service over the weekend.

This won't help while the service is down, but do you have OAM turned on at both ends of the link to help monitor the health of your ATM links?

HTH

I have the command 'oam-pvc manage' on all the PVCs. We do not have a service provider. We use our own equipment from end to end. Our radios us our own FCC licensed freqs. We take a router install a DS-3 card, hook it up to one of our radios, then at the other end the radio is hooked up to another router.

Lets say that some kind of interference knocks out the radios. After a few minutes this unknown interference goes away, shouldn't the PVC come back up if the DS-3 interface on both routers comes back up?

We found something interesting with the 3745. We were at the site where the 3745 resides. We unplugged the cables between one radio and the 3745. The 3745 reported that the interface went down and the command 'show atm pvc' showed the PVCs where DOWN. After a few minutes we plugged the cables back in. The 3745 reported that the interface was up/up, and the command 'show atm pvc' showed the PVCs were INAC. The only way I could get the PVC to come back up was to reset (power off/on) the 3745. When the 3745 booted back up all the interfaces and PVCs were up and working properly. I ask again - shouldn't the PVC come back up in the DS-3 interface on both ends are up??

I have a TAC case on this issue, no solution yet.

I am open to any suggestions :)

Thanks